Affiliate marketing is a wide domain. Having powered your web portal using WordPress, you’d be already enjoying multiple benefits. Now, if you’re planning to create a new WP website that’s dedicated to affiliate marketing, then you’ve reached the right post.
What will this tutorial help you with?
In this tutorial, you’ll get to know about the steps associated with creation of an affiliate website using WordPress. Plus, you’ll also get familiar with the reasons behind choosing WordPress for creating the affiliate website.
To begin, here are two prime reasons backing the use of WordPress for building an affiliate site
- Requires less coding- Gone are the days when building a website meant learning thebasics of HTML coding. With WordPress, you can simply copy paste the HTML from the affiliate partners, without the need for performing any manual coding.
- Quick integration of advertisements– There is a wide collection of WordPress themes which comes with advertising space by default. Moreover, you can simply paste your affiliate’s code into the sidebar widgets to get your affiliate advertisements up and running in no time.
And now, it’s time to jot down the steps associated with using WordPress for creating an affiliate website
Step 1- Get a unique domain name and web hosting for the site you intend to create
As the very first step, you need to have a unique address for your site i.e. the domain name. In addition to this, you also need to have a place for hosting your website. You can opt for a renowned hosting service provider like HostGator, iPage, justhost.com etc.
Step 2- Install WordPress
As the second step, you need to install WordPress on your new domain. Here’s hoping you’re well familiar with the process of installing WordPress.
Step 3- Install a theme into the website
Now that you’re done with installing WordPress, you’ll have a WordPress dashboard which will allow you to control all content and functionality that needs to be included within the website. Here’s a screen-shot for how the dashboard will look like:
Now, use the above dashboard for installing a theme in your site. In this tutorial, I’ve chosen to install the Twenty Thirteen theme which comes with the standard WordPress installation. Follow the below steps for installing the Twenty Thirteen theme in your affiliate site:
1. Log on to your WordPress site’s admin dashboard.
2. Go to left menu-> Appearance-> Themes as shown in below screen-shot:
3. On clicking “Theme”, you’ll be redirected to a new screen as displayed in below screen-shot:
Here, you’ll be shown all the available themes along with their complete previews. Also, you can spot an “Add New Theme” option which allows you to install a purchased theme in your WP site. On this screen, spot the ‘Twenty Thirteen’ theme and click the “Activate” button for the same. Automatic installation will start and you can click “Visit site” link for previewing your site once the chosen theme is installed in it.
Step 4- Place advertisement on your WP site
To be able to place an advertisement on your site, you need to have an affiliate account setup for your portal. In this tutorial, I’ve created an affiliate account with Amazon for creating an ad for Lenovo Laptops.
Now, follow the below steps for placing this ad within the web page’s sidebar:
1. Go to your WordPress admin dashboard-> Appearance-> Widgets as shown in below screen-shot:
2. On the Widgets Screen, spot the section named as “secondary widget area”. For the Twenty Thirteen theme, the term “secondary widget area’ refers to right hand sidebar. Refer the below screen-shot:
3. On the same page, find “Text” widget from the list for “available widget”. Here, you’ll find a text-area where you can enter any free form text or HTML Code. Now, drag the “Text” widget to the “secondary widget area” as shown in below screen-shot:
4. Now, simply paste the HTML code provided by your affiliate partner into the space represented by the red arrow in the above screen-shot. Once you’re done with entering the code, click on “Save” icon.
5. As the last step, click on the domain name provided towards the top left corner of your admin dashboard and hit the “Visit Site” link. Here is the screen-shot for how the advertisement would be displayed on your WP website:
With that we’re done with creating a WP affiliate site along with placement of affiliate ads.
Wrapping it all up
I hope by now you’d have gathered a good amount of knowledge on developing your affiliate website using WordPress. So, get on with making the most out of your affiliate partnerships.
Author Bio: As a certified top-notch developer at OSSMedia Ltd, Edward Jones has an impressive expertise in WordPress & he provide concrete information on wordpress related tips & trends. If you need to hire wordpress developer then simply get in touch with him via his Twitter and Google+ handle. Having gathered a total of 5 years of experience in WordPress Development, Edward has delivered numerous projects within the allotted time-frame.